What do we do when it is not safe to sing inside?
Take it outside!*
This Advent and Christmas season,
have teamed up to create FREE materials to assist you in "filling the night with music and light!" With singing in church worship spaces hindered by the Coronavirus, we are turning to caroling as a way to offer opportunities for people to sing their hearts out safely, taking it outside and safely-distanced! Join with churches and organizations all over to offer light and music... and hope this year! (Includes classic Christmas Carols plus some Covid-related verses for fun and thanksgiving for our essential workers!)
* There are reports in the Leader Guide about protocols AND a strong suggestion to follow the ever-changing safety guidelines for your area. One of our suggestions is for those in a common "bubble" to do this together in their own porches/doorways as an act of filling their small corner of the world with music and light. This project is as much about encouraging singing where you can (even just at home). That's why we offer karaoke tracks to make it easy to do with your own family, having fun making music together.
• PDF songbooks with music and narration for a 30-minute stationary "concert set" and a 10-minute moving "caroling set"
• Accompaniment tracks to download or play right from an online playlist
• A Leader Guide with ideas for supplemental instrumentation including percussion, guitar, and handbells; audience participation ideas, instructions for making and adding luminary lanterns to your visuals for a festive atmosphere; ideas for creative locations in which to sing (that's the "park, porch, and sidewalk sing" part); safety protocol suggestions; social media site and hashtags so groups and churches can celebrate each other's "Sings!"
Whether you are worshiping online or in adapted in-person gatherings, singing in enclosed spaces is still not advised. The tradition of caroling (with safe distancing) can give us a way to offer the message of hope and light in this time. Let's reclaim and amplify this practice this year!
- Marcia McFee, Creator and Visionary of Worship Design Studio
and Brian Hehn, Director of The Center for Congregational Song
Sign up to download the FREE materials!